This recipe is a good one to share with fam and friends. It’s definitely one of those dishes people do not realize is vegan until they know who the chef is. I also like to just make a batch and bring it for lunch during the week because it has a ton of hearty filling ingredients!
I start by roasting the butternut squash. I usually buy a package of diced butternut squash at the store. If you dice your own butternut squash, you are amazing. As much as I love exercise, cutting up butternut squash is so annoying because its so firm. While the squash is in the oven I go ahead and boil up my rice in some coconut milk instead of water for an added touch! The roasted butternut squash and the coconut rice really widens the flavors of this dish.
After the squash and rice readone I let it cool and get to chopping up the veggies for the chop salad. Kale and cabbage are really great when chopped finley because its not to strong on the taste buds with this mix, however, it does not wilt too much like other greens enabling this to keep very well.
Then I go ahead and drain and rinse my black beans, add the nearing room temperature rice and butternut squash, veggies, and black beans to my salad bowl and combine the ingredients and stick it into the fridge.
While the salad is cooling I whip up my chipotle cashew cream to act as the dressing.
For the salad
· 1 Small Butternut Squash or a container of butternut squash, medium diced
· 1 cup white rice
· 1 can coconut milk
· 1 can black beans
· 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped finely
· 1 cup Cabbage, chopped
· 2 Green onions
· 2-4 tbsp. olive oil
Chipotle Cashew Cream
· ½ cup water
· ¾ cup raw cashews
· 1.5 chipotle pepper (canned in adobo sauce)
· 1 lime , juiced
· Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre heat oven to 425 degrees and toss butternut squash in 2-4 tbsp. olive oil and salt.
2. Allow butternut squash to roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
3. Using coconut milk instead of water, make rice the way you usually do. (I bring 1c coconut milk and 1/3c water to a boil and then add the rice and allow to simmer with the lid on until it’s all done.)
4. Allow butternut squash and rice to cool while you chop the kale, cabbage, green onions, and cilantro.
5. Rinse and drain the black beans.
6. Combine all of the salad ingredients into your salad bowl and refrigerate.
7. In a high power blender, add the chipotle cashew cream ingredients and blend until you have a smooth creamy sauce.
8. Before serving, toss in chipotle cream and enjoy.
Recipe notes- This salad keeps well. Kale and cabbage are very sturdy greens and they do not over wilt so feel free to make this salad ahead of time, even if you must toss the dressing in right away, the only down side is the rice will absorb some of the creaminess but you will not use all of the cream so keep it for left overs. (I always double or more the cream recipe because its good on so many things, hello tacos! )